Residents pictured at Langford House
Trip to Langford House
Oak Tree Tamworth residents together with some friends from the Oak Tree Armidale village set off on a day trip to Langford House in Walcha this week.
The homestead was built on the original location of explorer John Oxley's 1818 camp site.
Langford is a grand two story building constructed of locally produced red brick, featuring 22 rooms and a five story central tower overlooking the circular entrance driveway and extensive surrounding gardens.
Langford is part of the original villa wolka property, first settlement of the New England. The construction of Langford was commenced in April 1903 by contractor Mr W.M. Morris of Inverell, with the designs for the homestead being drawn up by Maitland architect Mr J.W. Scobie. The completion of Langford ready occupancy by the owner Mr W. Fletcher was announced in October 1904.
Residents toured this magnificent homestead for around 2 hrs before heading into the Walcha Royal café for a delicious lunch.
They then headed back to Tamworth via Uralla so that the residents could stop off at the Lolly shop and stock up on some amazing sweets.
An educational and "sweet" day was enjoyed by all.
This is just one of the amazing day trips the residents do once a month.